Our thoughtful experts are ready with ideas, inspiration and advice for your next journey.
Croatia is one of those stunning holiday destinations that a part of us would like to keep its best bits a secret for as long as possible, and the other part wants to sing its praises from the roof top!
Harriet is here to help give you the inside track.
Why we think you’ll love it
- Dubrovnik is known as the Pearl of the Adriatic for good reason - it's possibly one of the prettiest and most romantic cities in Europe.
- The water is such a vivid blue, and so crystal clear, that it's easy to assume photographs have been photoshopped.
- Croatia is ideal for island-hopping and exploring, with a seemingly never-ending catalogue of yet-to-be-discovered spots.
From the gallery
Luxury Croatia Holidays: The Detail
Croatia has been a hugely popular luxury holiday destination here at Original Travel since we launched back in 2003, the same year the country was rather grandly declared 'The 21st Century Destination' by Conde Nast Traveller. The country is a rather cool combination of glitz, glamour and tradition with undulating plains of greenery and deep blue waters.
Did you know
- Croatia is the homeland of famous traveller Marco Polo
- Until the 18th century the Croats had their own alphabet called 'glagoljica'
- Only 66 of over 1000 islands that belong to Croatia are actually inhabited
- It is traditional to eat fish on Christmas Eve
- The tie, or cravat, comes from Croatia - it was part of their national costume and later copied by the French as a new fashion
Whilst a hipster or two may flock to Croatia's mainland and islands for popular music festivals, the country is also a great luxury holiday choice for families, couples and sun seekers alike. Aside from magnificent beaches, sailing opportunities, delicious fresh food and fabulous hotels and resorts, there are historic sites to explore the Country's turbulent past.
We pioneered sea kayaking around the Elapahiti Islands off Dubrovnik and have revisited several times as new regions, such as trendy island hangout Hvar and gourmet haven Istria, are announced as the next big thing on the Croatia luxury holiday scene.
Dubrovnik remains undeniably one of Europe's great treasures, and the Dalmatian coastline as a whole - especially when explored from a yacht - is very special indeed. We can recommend all the finest hotels along the coast and on the many islands, and arrange expertly guided kayak safaris and stylish and reliable yacht rental from either Split or Dubrovnik.
Further afield, Istria is set to become a firm favourite thanks to its Italianate influences (of the edible variety, particularly) and yet more beautiful coastline, as well as quaint scenes of local fishermen freeing their nets for a morning catch. A sunset should also not be missed in the Croatian gem.
The Original Travel team have explored Croatia first hand and can recommend all the finest luxury hotels along the coast, and arrange anything from expertly guided kayak safaris to luxurious and reliable yacht rental from either Split or Dubrovnik. Rest assured, you're Croatia luxury holiday will be one to remember.