Snorkelling in the crystal clear warm waters exploring coral reefs is like something from 'Finding Nemo' -amazing colours and creatures everywhere you look. I even came face to face with a (very friendly) turtle, which was a first!
Rosie, Original Traveller
Pristine white sands and crystal clear waters - the Maldives are arguably the most happening destination on the planet right now.
Why we think you’ll love it
- Pure and unadulterated desert island bliss - literally. There's no mainland, even the airport is on its own island, and all transport is by boat or seaplane - so you'll be island hopping from the minute you arrive
- Some of the best hotels in the world in terms of luxury, service and serious wow-factor rooms (think over-water villas) - plus, each hotel occupies it's own private island
From the gallery
Luxury Maldives Holidays
Archetypal white sand beaches framing jungle interiors, they themselves surrounded by atolls of crystal clear waters dropping away into the depths. The Maldives is arguably the most happening destination for luxury holidays on the planet right now, a fact reflected in the frenzied acquisition of ever more of these idyllic desert islands by the big hotel groups. The Maldives is one of those places that, in our humble opinion, absolutely lives up to the hype. The islands' popularity is made all the more poignant by the fact that, as some of the planet's lowest lying land masses, they would be among the first to sink beneath the waves if global warming continues at current rates.
Did you know
- The Maldives are made up of 1,190 coral islands
- The Maldives hold the record for being the flattest country in the world; its highest natural point is only 2.4meters above sea level
- 99% of the nation of the Maldives is ocean water, but it still supports a rich, 3,000 year old culture
- There is a 98% literacy rate among adults in the Maldives
- In Oct 2009, the now ousted President, Mohamed Nasheed, moved a cabinet meeting to the bottom of the sea to raise awareness of climate change and rising sea levels
The Maldives is the ultimate place for relaxation, which is perhaps why it is a luxury holiday pin-up for many. Daily stresses and routines instantly become redundant and the time for a digital detox begins. Tempting? Of course it is, if not for the fact that you'll be glued to sunset vistas and crystal clear waters instead of Apple's latest inventions, but the fact that the Maldivian islands are a barefoot paradise.
Behold the wonder of the Maldives double D's (now, now)... Dining and Diving. The food is an excellent array of… well everything from fresh fish to gourmet curries and be rest assured that the resorts fall nothing short of perfection when it comes to cuisine and service. Many of the islands are surrounded by coral reefs bursting with fantastic marine life, which provide great diving opportunities alongside a manta ray or two, and even a cheeky snorkel.
We've been sending clients on luxury holidays to the Maldives since we first launched our long haul portfolio (2006 to be precise) and it remains one of our most popular destinations. And it gets better; there is so much more to the Maldives beyond the picture perfect white sands, endless skies and crystal clear waters (as if you needed another excuse to go). Add in the charm of the locals and their natural instinct for good service, some excellent food, world-class spas and diving to die for and you can understand exactly why the Maldives continues to be such a popular luxury holiday destination. Spread across roughly 90,000 square kilometres, it is one of the most geographically dispersed countries on Earth; the phrase 'getting away from it all' springs to mind.
Our Indian Ocean team visit the Maldives from time to time, the lucky bunch, and are here to help with every detail of your trip, be it the best resort for families or the most secluded for honeymooners. Or maybe you'd like to visit the world's first under-water spa? Music club? Or restaurant? Yes, it's true; under the sea, darling it's better down where it's wetter, take it from us. We digress - when it comes to a luxury holiday Maldives is a perfect match.