Snorkelling around the Tobago Cays. Right in the middle of a marine park, there is the most unbelievable underwater world beneath the surface
Saskia, Original Traveller
Endless stretches of white sand. Tick. Gin clear water. Tick. Idyllic island life. Tick. The cluster of islands (32 to be precise, including Mustique and Bequia) that make up St Vincent & The Grenadines is exactly how we all imagine the Caribbean to be. The best bit? It's still all relatively unknown.
Why we think you’ll love it
- Part of the original Pirates of the Caribbean movie was filmed in St Vincent & The Grenadines, so grab your eye patch and compass and explore the islands. Remember, X marks the spot
- This is the Caribbean as it should be - low key, laid back and luxurious without resorting to the whole bling thing
- Mustique, c'est chic, and it's a retreat for all manner of celebs. Do try to look nonchalant when you spot an A-lister
From the gallery
Luxury Holidays to St Vincent & The Grenadines: The Detail
Three of our all-time favourite Caribbean islands for luxury holidays - Mustique, Bequia and Petit St Vincent - are in the Grenadines and they work perfectly in splendid isolation, or in combination. Mustique provides a slice of glamour, Bequia the quintessential laid-back Caribbean experience and Petit St Vincent brings total and utter privacy to the - terribly discreet - luxury holiday party.
Did you know
- 32 islands and cays make up St Vincent & the Grenadines
- There is an active volcano on St Vincent, which last erupted in 1979
- The oldest Botanic Garden in the Western Hemisphere is situated on St Vincent & the Grenadines, founded in 1765
- Fried Jackfish with Roasted Breadfruit is the country's national dish
- Gold, black and white sand beaches can be found in St Vincent & the Grenadines
- The capital Kingstown is also known as the 'City of Arches' because at least 400 arches can be found in the city
Mustique was originally made famous last century as a luxury retreat for the rich and famous. As a private island (well, technically it's on a long term lease from the government) Mustique remains one of the most exclusive retreats for luxury holidays in the Caribbean and at just three miles long and a mile and a half wide, has an extremely high celeb-per-square foot rating. Don't let that put you off, though. This is a genuinely beautiful island, and we can arrange stays at either the island's tiny hotel or a villa rental for those keen on a slice of the celebritocracy lifestyle. Say hi to Mick for us when you're there.
Bang next door to Mustique is Bequia (pronounced Beck-way), which provides a different luxury Caribbean holiday experience. The island encapsulates the essential Caribbean charm, with stunning coastlines, fantastic local restaurants, and even better locals who tend to treat visitors like long lost friends. Despite being the largest of the Grenadine islands, there are still only 4,900 inhabitants, and no shopping malls or large tourist resorts. Bequia therefore retains its old-age charm and boasts many of the qualities long associated with luxury holidays to the Caribbean. Original Travel highly, highly recommends this hidden and undiscovered gem of an island.
In the same group of island lies Petit St Vincent, a tiny island just two miles long and consisting of private cottages. Head here for a completely secluded and unplugged Caribbean hideaway. Techies beware - there are no telephones, internet or televisions in the cottages, with the sole purpose being to escape from everyday life. However, this does also mean no crowds, and guests can be certain that they will enjoy the exclusive retreat in peace.
We have visited St Vincent & The Grenadines on a number of occasions and can recommend the best bars and secret snorkelling beaches to enhance your luxury holiday. We look forward to helping plan the perfect trip.