It's not just about the glitz and glamour on St Barths. Grand Cul de Sac is awesome for kitesurfing and there are even a few spots on the island where you can perfect your surf skills.
Eleanor, Original Traveller
The island of St Barthélemy (or St Barths, as it is commonly known) is situated towards the northern end of the chain of islands that make up the Lesser Antilles. The island was named by Columbus after his brother, Bartolomeo, and is considered by many to be the most beautiful island in the Caribbean.
Why we think you’ll love it
- There are only 7,000 full time residents on St Barths and one town - the island's picturesque capital, Gustavia. This charming harbour has a distinctly Gallic vibe, with chic cafés.
- Choose from 14 beaches, of which Anse des Flamands - home to the Isle de France hotel - is the best.
- St Barths also has some great sailing, which is a good way to explore the island, its beaches and the smaller satellite islands, and we can arrange private yacht charters and day trips with expert crews. Bon voyage.
From the gallery
St Barths Luxury Holidays: The Detail
Today, St Barths is a French colony which offers a great combination of pristine white-sand beaches, calm turquoise waters, stylish accommodation and - perhaps unsurprisingly - good restaurants.
Original Travel consultants have stayed on, and sailed round, St Barts on numerous occasions, so can suggest the best places to stay and things to do while there - like absolutely nothing. For the more active souls, Activities on the island (aside, of course, from lying on the beach looking gorgeous) range from horse riding in the green hills of the interior to diving and snorkelling on the nearby reefs, all of which we can organise.
Did you know
- Christopher Columbus was the first European to discover the island in 1493 and named it after his brother Bartolomeo
- St. Barts is a dependency island of Guadeloupe, which in turn is an Overseas Department and Region of France
- There are 22 public beaches on the island