The reopening, after a ten year hiatus, of the staggering Rijksmuseum with it's collection of Dutch masters.
Tom, Original Traveller
Us Brits like to think of ourselves as a small nation that has punched well above its weight across history, but there's another (much) smaller country sitting just across the North Sea that gives us a real run for our money.
Why we think you’ll love it
- Because the so-called Dutch Golden Age produced some of the most staggering art or any age, let alone the 17th Century
- Amsterdam's proximity to the UK makes it perfect for a Big Short Break
- KLM has an enviable flight network that reaches many parts of the globe other airlines cannot reach as easily. Spend a couple of nights in Amsterdam for a cool combo
From the gallery
Our guide to holidays in The Netherlands
Welcome to the Netherlands, a low country that has hit the heights in terms of all the stuff that really matters from art to architecture and finance to football. Our toe is being dipped into the dyke gently as we concentrate (to begin with) on the magnificent capital Amsterdam. Artist and thinker John Ruskin once said 'the measure of any great civilisation is in its cities' and if small but perfectly formed Amsterdam is anything to go by then the Dutch civilisation is very civilised indeed.
Did you know
- There are around 20 national parks in the Netherlands
- 70% of the world's bacon comes from Netherlands
- It has more than 4,000 km of navigable canals, rivers and lakes
- The Dutch are the world's biggest coffee drinkers after the Scandinavians, with an average of 140 litres of coffee a year or 3.2 cups a day
The recently reopened Rijksmuseum is the jewel in the city's crown but this is a city of museums and the Van Gogh Museum, as is so often the case just a few minutes walk away, is another must-see.
Excellent shopping, a thriving restaurant scene determined to reach the quality in neighbouring Belgium and France, a vibrant nightlife and excellent boutique hotels in which to stay complete the Dutch master picture in this superb Big Short Break destination.