Our thoughtful experts are ready with ideas, inspiration and advice for your next journey.
We think Estonia is the best of the bunch of the Baltic States when it comes to holidays and travel, thanks to its capital Tallinn, a medieval marvel, and the wonderful, laid back Muhu Island, one of the most original retreats around. We have checked out all the best hotels and restaurants in Tallinn, so you can speak to someone who knows the place inside and out and can talk you through the best local fish restaurant or vodka bar.
Why we think you’ll love it
- The medieval capital of Tallinn makes for a wonderful wintry weekend away - The Christmas Market on Reekoja Square may only been going since 2001 but it has quickly become one of the best in Europe.
- Padaste Manor on Muhu Island is an as of yet undiscovered luxury bolthole with delectable food, fully stocked cellar, intimate spa and immaculate rooms.
- When in Tallinn you can visit Kiek in de Kök tower. A place with a such name is worth going to.
From the gallery
Holidays to Estonia: the Detail
Tallinn is one of the finest preserved medieval cities in Europe, and the perfect weekend away or perfect in combination with a very special island. After a couple of nights within the city walls, a two hour drive and ferry away lies the elegant Padaste Manor hotel on Muhu Island. We think this place is pretty special whatever time of year, as it's supremely cosy in winter and wonderfully warm in summer. There's an excellent spa, and we know which room to stay in, and which treatments are a spoiling necessity.
Did you know
- Estonia is almost 50 % forest
- There are 7000 rivers in Estonia
- Estonia is home to over 150 small islands