Denmark fostered the Nordic Food Movement, which kick-started the now-thriving Scandi food scene. It's particularly famous for birthing Noma, the restaurant voted the world's best for three years running. Be sure to book well in advance!
Flora, Original Traveller
The Danes are a pretty sophisticated bunch, and responsible for far more that we consider stylish than any population of just 5.5 million people has any right to be. Copenhagen is the natural choice of destination to best appreciate this characteristic cool and confidence, and few capitals so well sum up their nation as this compact city on the sea.
Why we think you’ll love it
- Copenhagen is quite possibly the most stylish city in Europe, and a boat tour from iconic Nyhavn is the best way to see all of it's iconic sights
- The art, design and cultural sights extend further than just the country's capital: Louisiana art gallery, just north of Copenhagen, is worth a visit, as is Hamlet's castle, Kronborg, which sits in the coastal spot of Helsingør
- Copenhagen is a highly conscious green city, so cycling is a must - it's the Danes' mode of transport of choice
Our guide to holidays in Denmark
Original Travel has long had a soft spot for the city (perhaps unsurprising since one of the Directors is half Danish) and it does represent one of the best city breaks going thanks to regular and short flights. We can put together the perfect itinerary for you, including charming hotels, outstanding restaurant recommendations and excellent shopping opportunities. Finally, Europe offers few more magical experiences than the traditional Tivoli Gardens funfair at Christmas. Even adults might start to feel the festive spirit.
Did you know
- The Danes eat more pasta than any other nation
- Not a single mountain exists in Denmark - its tallest hill is 170 meters high
- It is the fifth largest exporter of food in the world
- Over 400 islands make up Denmark, although over 300 of those are uninhabited
- Denmark boasts 7,000km of shoreline and you can never be further than 50km from the sea
- There are more pigs than humans in Denmark!
Get a flavour of what we've done
A long Christmas weekend in Copenhagen
A couple wanted to take a festively timed break to Copenhagen over the Christmas period.
Approximate budget: £1000.00
A weekend in Copenhagen
We organized a weekend in Copenhagen for a couple in August that included enviable accommodation and guided tours of some of the city's main attractions.
Approximate budget: £2000.00