Our thoughtful experts are ready with ideas, inspiration and advice for your next journey.
Fiendishly difficult to spell, Slovenia's capital has benefited from the country's position at the crossroads of Europe and is an intriguing and thoroughly charming muddle of Slavic, Latin and Germanic elements. Many have compared Ljubljana to a pocket Prague, due to its scarlet Baroque rooftops and meandering streets, but the city has a flirty, Southern side with its cobbled piazzas that simply demand lengthy coffee breaks in the sun.
Why we think you’ll love it
- Small and perfectly formed Ljubljana, capital of small and perfectly formed Slovenia, is so central that many of the highlights are doable as day trips.
- Lots of swanky good quality restaurants
- In the summer there are great weekend food markets
- Views over the city are best enjoyed from Ljubljana Castle
- Shopping is great; there's everything from H&M to Dior!